Once there is a leak, flood, or excess moisture in a home or building, mold grows quickly, usually within 24-48 hours. If the water goes undetected or is not handled immediately, the mold will continue to flourish and could become hazardous, toxic black mold within a week or so. The toxins this type of mold produces are called mycotoxins, and these are what are so dangerous for humans and animals. Even if it does not transform into this type of black mold, mold in general is known to be a leading allergen for many people.
In order to determine if the culprit that is growing within your walls, ceilings, or floors is toxic black mold and harmful to your health, always contact a specialist to come out and test a sample. One cannot always look at a moldy surface and decide whether or not the area is creating hazardous mycotoxins.
This toxic black mold is always a greenish-black color and can either be slimy (if there is still a water source) or dry with a powdery look and feel (if the water source has run out). Unfortunately, there are other molds that look similar, which is another reason why one should contact a professional immediately.
Whether or not you suspect mold in your home or business, there are quite a few signs and symptoms to having a common mold allergy and to having an allergic reaction to toxic black mold.
Let’s take a look at both to distinguish between the two.
Symptoms of a common mold allergy:
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Irritated eyes
- Itchy throat
Symptoms of an allergic reaction to toxic black mold:
- Respiratory problems
- Skin inflammation
- Irritation of mucous membranes
- Damage to internal organs
- Mental/nervous system impairment
- Immune system suppression
As you can see, the reaction to toxic black mold as opposed to other types of mold can be quite serious, resulting in health issues that may last a very long time and could even result in death. Because so many people are unaware of the signs of having mold in their home or place of business and because they may not be aware of the physical symptoms that the situation may cause, they are often likely to live and work simultaneously with these toxins for quite some time without knowing. This is why being educated on this topic is so very important.
If you suspect that your body has been compromised by mycotoxins, go to the doctor immediately and they can conduct either a blood test or skin prick test. If it turns out that you were subjected to mold poisoning, there are a few fairly simple treatment options.
Never underestimate the power of mold. If you even think your home or business may have a mold problem, get a professional out there as soon as possible, and if you are not feeling well, go to the doctor to get checked out.
If you’re in need of a cleanup and restoration specialist to come out to determine if you have a toxic black mold problem, don’t worry—Restoration Certified Specialists, Inc. will take care of you! They have been proudly serving the Santa Rosa and North Bay areas since 1975.