Call: (707) 570-0555 | Email:

restoration clean up

Health Risks of Mold in Your Home

Mold In House Sonoma County

When you think of mold, you probably think of things like dank basements, dirty bathrooms, musty smells, and water damage. Mold can wreak havoc on a home, but the mold in your home can also cause you health risks. Here are five health risks that can be caused by toxic molds in your home.

#1 Allergic Reactions

The most common health effect of mold in your home is allergic reactions. Otherwise healthy adults and children may experience symptoms such as wheezing, coughing, runny nose, watery eyes, and skin irritation.

#2 Worsening Asthma Symptoms

Controlling asthma can be a struggle for some people, and if there is mold in your home, it can become even harder to control. Mold in your home can cause your asthma symptoms like chest tightness and shortness of breath to become worse. If you have good control of your asthma symptoms and they start to worsen, you may want to check for mold in your home.

#3 Increased Headaches

You may experience increased or more severe headaches if your are exposed to mold in your home. Allergic reactions, sinus pressure, or a response to mycotoxins that some molds produce can cause your headaches. These headaches have the potential of becoming migraines if the mold isn’t removed.

#4 Fatigue

All of us feel fatigued at one point or another, but when it gets to the point where you need over 12 hours of sleep a night or can’t stand long enough to take a shower, it can become debilitating. Lack of oxygen intake, coughing at night, and illness and infection are all reasons that mold exposure can cause you to feel overly fatigued.

#5 Mental and Neurological Issues

The most well-known toxic mold, black mold, releases neurotoxins that can impair your mental ability by killing neurons in the brain. Some of these impairments include confusion, difficulty paying attention, anxiety, seizures, and memory loss. You may also experience increased irritability due to exposure to black mold. #6 Suppressed Immune System If you are typically a healthy adult, you may find yourself getting sick more often if you are exposed to mold. The toxins in black mold can cause your immune system to be compromised, and you’ll be more susceptible to infections and illness. If you are experiencing unexplained symptoms that could be related to toxic mold exposure, you should take steps immediately to remove the mold from your home. Health issues caused by mold exposure typically subside once the mold is gone.

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.