Call: (707) 570-0555 | Email: info@cleancrawlspace.com

restoration clean up

Four Signs That Your Home is Harboring Toxic Mold

dog laying down

Mold is everywhere which can make it hard to remove once it enters your home. While it can cause obvious signs, such as peeling walls, sometimes it can result in hidden home damage and affect your health. This article will explain more behind toxic home molds and a few signs your home is harboring them.

What Causes Mold in the Home?

There are many things that can cause mold growth in one’s home. Some of these are:
  • High humidity
  • Dark, damp spaces
  • Water leaks
  • Window condensation
  • Poor insulation

3 Dangerous Home Molds

Numerous molds can grow within your home, but there are a few that are a bit more concerning than others. Penicillium: Most of the time, penicillium is caused by water damage. It creates green spots and could result in asthma or chronic sinusitis if not removed. Aspergillus: Aspergillus tends to grow on objects that haven’t been moved for a long time or that sit in dark areas. While it doesn’t always negatively affect everyone, it could irritate one’s respiratory system, especially if you have a compromised immune system. Stachybotrys: Stachybotrys creates thick black splotches and usually grows on paper-like materials that are affected by condensation. Common symptoms of stachybotrys problems include sneezing, coughing, and chronic headaches.

4 Signs Your Home Has Toxic Mold

You’re Having Allergic Reactions: One of the most common indications that your home has toxic mold is that you’re having severe allergic reactions. If you notice your skin is itchy, you have dry eyes, or have a cough that doesn’t seem to go away, it could be due to mold. The Walls and Ceilings are Discolored: Another sign that your living space has mold is that the walls and ceilings are discolored. When mold grows, it creates pigment that will absorb into the surrounding surface. If not removed, it won’t only turn darker, but cause buckling. There’s a Strong Musty Odor: If you smell a musty odor wafting throughout your home, it’s a sign you have mold. As mold develops, it will release compounds that create this musty smell. The longer it stays, the more predominant this aroma will be. Your Shower’s Grout is Dark: When you take a shower, you might notice that the grout between the tiles is dark. While you might think that this is due to water, it’s actually mold. Because grout is porous, it collects water. If there isn’t good ventilation, this water will stay within the grout and cause mold growth. Mold is a common problem in homes that can cause severe side effects if not removed. For those around Sonoma County who are concerned about mold growth in their living space, RCS can help. Our mold removal service ensures that any mold is eliminated from your home while preventing future growth.

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *